What Is HEIC?
The High-Efficiency Image Coding (HEIC) is used to store files on mobile devices. Developed by Moving Picture Experts Group, HEIC is now the standard format used on iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra. These files may consist of a single photo, an image sequence, or a collection of images.
Compared to JPEG files, HEIC images are significantly smaller in size, but they retain higher image quality. They also have lower compatibility. Older iterations of macOS and iOS systems won’t let you open HEIC files.
If you are an iPhone user, you can change the settings of your device and set it up to capture images in JPEG instead of HEIC.
How to Convert HEIC to JPG on MAC
As already mentioned, previous macOS versions can’t open HEIC files. Let’s say you have photos on your mobile device for a visa application. If you’re required to submit digital photos online along with your forms, you will need to convert your images to JPEG.
You can turn to the web to find good online tools that can help you perform the conversion for free. You may also use Apple’s built-in Preview app.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Step 1: Go to The Finder on your Mac, then open the folder with the HEIC files you want to turn into JPEG format.
- Step 2: Select all the images you want to convert.
- Step 3: Right-click on the highlighted photos. Select Open With, then choose the Preview app option.
- Step 4: From the Preview app, you will see all the images you want to convert. Click Edit, then hit Select All.
- Step 5: Click on the File menu, then pick Export Selected Images.
- Step 6: Select Options, then click on the JPEG format from the menu.
How to Convert HEIC to JPG on Resizing.app
If you decide to take your own visa application photos, make sure that you have a high-quality camera before anything else. There are several ways to convert your files to JPG formats, one of which is to use an online HEIC to JPG converter. Resizing.app is an excellent example.
Here are a few steps you need to follow to do the conversion:
- Step 1: Open a Chrome browser.
- Step 2: Go to Resizing.app.
- Step 3: Add the online tool to your Chrome browser for free.
- Step 4: Upload an HEIC image from your mac computer.
- Step 5: Configure the settings of your desired output—height, width, file format, etc. If you’re submitting digital visa application photos, you will need to make sure it’s the right size. The US Embassy, for instance, only accepts digital photos with 1200x1200 pixels. Not only that, they require images to be equal to or less than 240 kB.
- Step 6: Convert the image, then save it to your device.
Using free online tools like Resizing.app, you can quickly convert HEIC to JPG. Mac and iPhone devices can use the converter as it can be accessed conveniently through the Chrome browser. No matter where you are, as long as you have internet access, you can optimize, convert, and resize your images hassle-free. Resizing.app lets you convert or even resize your JPEG image in no time, and all without tedious downloads and installation processes.