How to Resize PNG with the Resizing.app
The Resizing.app is one of the most user-friendly free tools available on the web today if you want to resize PNG images in just a few, easy steps.
- Go to the Chrome Web Store or to our home page and look for the “Add to Chrome” button to download, with no registration needed!
- Upload your image.
- Go to the drop-down menu in Resize to input your desired height and width.
- Select the level of optimization.
- Choose PNG in the drop-down menu under “Save as”.
A PNG or portable network graphics file is a digital image format commonly used for websites. When it comes to image compression, where data is converted to consume less space than the original file, the PNG format uses lossless compression or minimal quality loss compared to the lossy compression of the JPG (joint photographic experts group) format.
Thomas Boutell is recognized as the man who developed PNG in 1995, when the most popular image file format for the web was the graphics interchange format (GIF). The PNG format emerged as an alternative to the GIF after UNISYS, which held the patent for the so-called LZW compression method for the GIF, decided to require a license for its file format.
PNG’s popularity came from its ease of use, particularly when you need a certain portion of an image in its original colors while the rest stays transparent. This makes it the ideal format for images such as logos, which often need to be placed over another picture.
Why PNG Files Need to be Resized
The PNG format is the best choice when you need to edit an image several times since JPEG images undergo generational loss during repetitive editing and saving.
However, you’ll often need to resize PNG images; they’re larger in file size due to their higher resolution, making websites take longer to load and emails longer to send.
How to Resize a PNG Image
Windows and macOS have built-in PNG resize options. Note that in most cases, you’ll have to start with an image that is a lot larger so it won’t be blurry when you resize it.
- Go to Preview and open your file from the File menu.
- Select Tools from the top menu and click on Adjust Size.
- Click or check the box beside “Scale proportionally” to maintain proportions before entering new values in the Image Dimensions box.
- Click save when you’re finished editing the size.
In Windows 10:
- Go to Paint and open your file from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Resize tool found in the middle of the Home tab’s Image section to tweak the image.
- Unless you know the exact vertical and horizontal pixel count you want, click Percentage so you can reduce the image accordingly (for instance enter 75% if you want it reduced to 3⁄4 of its current size).
- To resize your image proportionally, click “Maintain aspect ratio” in the resize section.
- Once you’re satisfied with the size, click OK.
- Open your file and click the Image tab in the upper tool panel, then select Image Size.
- Make sure that the link icon is “on” to scale proportionately.
- Change the width and height as needed.
- Click OK and save with a new filename to preserve your original image.
You can also do PNG resizing using other software and resize PNG files online.